DFW Fiber Fest has always had a Charity that we have sponsored and that you – our Attendees – have supported and donated to over the years.
The Board of DFW Fiber Fest is thrilled to announce that our charitable cause for 2017 will again be Knit Your Bit. Knit Your Bit is a program, developed in 2006 by the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, that provides Veterans across the country with warm and cozy scarves. DFW Fiber Fest will be partnering with the Museum this year to provide as many of these scarves as possible - and helping to grow their program on a more local level by looking to our local veterans groups to receive some of our scarves. Last year, DFW Fiber Fest was able to contribute approximately 200 scarves to Knit Your Bit.
The Museum has sample patterns on its website if you need some ideas or you can choose any appropriate pattern you like to knit.
- Here are a few guidelines for scarves:
- Knit and crochet scarves are equally welcome. They also say they are happy to accept woven scarves if that is your preference.
- Please stick to a neutral color. The overwhelming majority of scarves will go to male veterans.
- Most materials are acceptable. (They do ask that that you keep your fun fur and novelty yarns for other projects.)
- It is very important that you attach care instructions for the recipient. The Museum asks you to include your first name and last initial, City, State, and care instructions with each scarf. These will be included on the scarf when they are gifted to a veteran. We will provide tags at DFW Fiber Fest for you to attach to the scarves - but you are welcome to bring them already tagged. You can also download a pdf sheet of tags we have made (6 to a sheet) to tag your scarves for this project. You have a choice of color tags or black & white tags.
While we know this is not why we all participate in these charity drives, there WILL be prizes! We have lots of prizes to award in several categories (such as Most Scarves) plus random drawings, so everyone is eligible to win. Prizes will include Yarns, Project Bags, Friday Night Entry Tickets and even Vendor Bucks that can be redeemed for merchandise in our vendor hall.
Please read over the FAQs provided on the National WWII Museum website since they cover nearly all of the questions we had.
We hope everyone has fun with this charity opportunity.
We have also supported the North Texas Food Bank for the past several years. A portion of all Vendor Hall entry fees are donated to the NTFB to help as many people as we can here in the North Texas area. We are pleased to announce that thanks to you and your attendance at the 2016 DFW Fiber Fest Event we were able to donate more than $3600 to the North Texas Food Bank!